Monday, October 3, 2016

Hong Kong Day 9

9th day - 18 May 2016

DISNEYLAND

We planned to go to Lantau Island today! I was so going to have the awesome fragrant egglet and curry fishball. We intended to also have the vegetarian food at the temple because my bf seems to have so much regret for not having it during our last visit haha. So this time, I made sure it was included in our plan. 

We had our breakfast at Macdonald's - Original and Tonkotsu soup macaroni, with coffee and tea.  This is something you cannot find in Singapore's outlets. Somehow, the tea in HK comes as a default milk tea while the coffee had a separate creamer. There is probably no Tea O in HK but their milk tea is way better than in SG's Mac. We added cheese for one of them but it is just a slice of cheese which did not really melt. The original flavor taste rather bland so we both preferred the other. The macaroni is too soft for my liking.


To get to our destination, we took to the MTR to Tung Chung station which is on the same line as Olympic station. However, we found out outside the MRT station that the cable cars were closed for three days due to maintenance. How disappointing! We did not want to take a bus up though. Thankfully, it would be back in operation the next day. Since we only have a limited time in HK, we decided to head for Disneyland instead. It was already 12pm and I think it was a little late for an amusement park day. I intended to wear a red pokka dot top and red ribbon hair clip to resemble Minnie Mouse's outfit. I also realized that my denim shorts has a mickey mouse button on it and they would be so suitable for Disneyland. What a waste. 

We took 1 stop from Tung Chung to Sunny Bay station. From there, we transfer over to Disneyland Resort station. Their train is specially designed according to Disney's theme with hand grips and windows shaped like Mickey's head. They also have figurines of various Disney character in glass compartments within the train. I don't really like the seats because it was quite prickly and itchy to the skin. At the entrance of Disneyland, we took our mandatory shot! The sun was very bright so I had to squint my eyes. I was excited, and quite relief that my mood was not affected much by the sudden change in plans. 







As we were walking in the park, a lady came approaching us speaking Cantonese. When my bf told her we were not locals in Mandarin, she spoke back to us in Mandarin. Apparently, she holds an annual membership card with the park and had some extra tickets because she had just been stood up by her friends. Since she has a membership, she did not need any tickets and was not in any mood to visit the park by herself. Therefore, she explained that she was trying to sell her tickets and we got it at HKD 490 per ticket. The original price is HKD 539 so we got a little discount here. She was quite nice and brought us all the way in to prove that the tickets were genuine. Like a tour guide, she also brought us the maps and briefly gave us some park information. It was only after all these that she collected the payment from us. Although we cannot be sure whether as a member, she probably could buy her tickets at a cheaper rate and earn from here despite giving the discount. we still got a deal. Initially, I was quite wary of her approach because this may be a scam tactic. There were people selling cheaper Peak tickets at Central station but I didn't want to risk it for that little difference in price. 

Our journey starts now! We walk past all the shops and took some photos here and there. A parade was starting and people were crowding on each side, guarding their position for the best view. We decided that the rides were our priority due to our time constraint. My bf has visited the park before and he planned our route strategically lol. Arriving at Tomorrowland, we queued for Orbitron, which is a turning ride and you can control the height of your spaceship. Next, we went to do some serious driving at Autopia! But it is actually half auto drive. The cars will go in one single file within the line, and if you don't turn properly, it will bounce you back into the correct route. It is like an invisible track. All you have to do is to step on the pedal to accelerate but to avoid the irritating bumping all the time, it is best to steer the wheel properly. Space Mountain was closed for maintenance at the time :(. According to my bf, it was his favourite ride. I just checked out the website and they seemed to have renamed it to Hyperspace Mountain.























It was already 2.30pm after we finished with Autopia, and we went to have lunch at Starliner before I faint. After all, we only ate little breakfast to save space in our stomach for our supposed lunch on Lantau Island. We needed energy to continue exploring the park. Initially, bf said he was not hungry and he probably shouldn't eat. In the end, we had dinner only at 10pm so he should be quite thankful I persuaded him otherwise haha. My meal was a fish burger set and black fuze tea, while his was beef burger and coke. The fries was hot and taste way better than those at Johnny Rocket. Bf said he tasted better beef burgers but I think it is alright. My fish burger is good too, with the bun slightly toasted. To be honest, the food in theme parks are generally very expensive but not too fantastic. I liked the black fuze tea, which tasted something like ice lemon tea. 




Since we required some time to let our food digest, we went to Buzzlight Year Astro Blasters next. I did not know what to expect, only knew it was some shooting game. Turns out, it was really fun and we can turn the seat around to face the arrow board that we were supposed to shoot at to earn points. The total points were shown at the end of the ride on the ride machine itself, and my bf laughed at me because his score is 10 times more than me.




After that, we walked to another world - A Small Small World! Now we are at FantasyLand. Oh my gosh, I am so in love with the theme, the design and the colours. Even the rubbish bins and benches are so cute. I had no idea what ride I was going for because I did not even read the map; I had my personal tour guide to rely on you see. It was a slow water ride in which we get to "travel" to different parts of the world, like Asia, America, Europe and Madagascar. In each section, the characters will be singing "It's a small small world" and I found it really interesting that they are in different languages. The theme and background design are linked to the culture of the places. When in Asia, the song can be in Mandarin on the left, in Thai on the left and in Korean just straight ahead. I had a very awesome first experience on this ride!










We went to get a fast pass for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.  In the whole park, only pooh's ride and space mountain has the option of fast pass. Fast pass will provide us with a specific duration to come back for the ride and we would proceed to the shorter queue. By giving out different timings, they sort of spread out the number of people queuing for the ride at any one time. We had 30 - 45 minutes so we went to take the Rail Train Ride. I believe there is only one train and the wait was at least 15 minutes. The train will bring you slowly around the park and you get to see some hidden stuff along the tracks. If I remembered correctly, there are only two stops and we alighted at the same stop that we board the tram. Back in time just for Pooh bear's ride. We sat in a moving honey jar and move through a storybook, turning and twisting around, with tigger and other characters popping out. To be honest, I did not even catch the story or remember what happened during this ride haha.








Next we went to Mickey's PhilharMagic to watch the 3D show. The main character is Donald Duck, and he will bring the audiences through various different Disney stories and their theme songs. In the end, he appeared at the back of the concert hall with his backside sticking out :p. We walked through the Fairy Tale Forest featuring all the Disney princesses with cute interactive elements. Love stories are my favourite.






 








Traveled to Toy Story Land and it was time for some more thrilling rides. To be honest, I was not excited for it at all. I was just being a good gf and accompanied my love for RC Racer. Fear and anxiety were written all over my face and he video-ed me lol. It works like the pirate ship ride, just in a form of roller coaster. Oh my, how I hate the feeling of the drop. I made an effort to keep my eyes opened throughout and I did it, fully experiencing the whole ride. I thought I was prepared for my next ride, Toy Soldier Parachute Drop, which involves the falling feeling again. Oh no, thankfully we chose to wait longer to be able to sit together, because I was screaming a little and holding him tight throughout the ride. You can choose to go for the single seat queue because each side of the parachute is for 3 person and there will usually be one empty seat left. The normal queue took about 30 minutes.









At Grizzly Gulch, we took the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. I think this is really nice, not too thrilling and not too mild. The car even goes backwards! Jungle River Cruise, at Adventure Land was next. There are three language to choose from - English, Cantonese and Mandarin. We went for the English one and the crew on the boat with us was fun and enthusiastic. Even though those animals and angry river god were made up stories, I really felt like they were all genuine with her energy in story telling. After our cruise, the smell of the grilled cuttlefish attracted us. I think one of those sticks cost HKD 40. Very chewy and very fragrant.




After filling a little food into our stomachs, we went for the slightly scary but super fun Mystic Manor. When the magical music box was unexpectedly opened, the artifacts and antiques all came alive. We sat in a round car, with the amazing melody in the background, and immersed ourselves through a wonderful tour of the mansion. After we have taken all those must-take rides, we went back to Toy Story Land and look a kiddy Slinky Dog Spin ride :P. Mad Hatter Tea Cups was next, and I went mad after that. He turned the middle spinner and it was fast and exhilarating, at least for me. Dumbo the Flying Elephant is a cuter version of Orbitron. Our last ride, as it turns dark, was the romantic Cinderella Carousel.







Explored the many shops after all the rides. The shops on one side of the street were all connected to each other. We saw a couple wore these matching wedding hat and were excited to snap a photo of us in them.  It was 8 plus then and people were all in front of the castle waiting for the fireworks. We stood at the long stretch behind along the shops and the view was still pretty awesome. The castle acted as the screen as the lights shined on it, depicting the Disney characters, with Disney theme songs playing in the background. I leaned my head on his shoulder and truly enjoyed the moment with him. I was actually feeling very touched and blissful to be right there, experiencing all those with my love. Throughout the whole journey, my bf was also actively collecting stickers for me <3. Sometimes, he just suddenly disappear and comes back with a different design of Disney character sticker. We were given stickers before some rides, but my bf noticed how people asked for them from the Disneyland staff after some time. So he did the same too, all for me. We found my favourite Sadness too which could only be found in one of the shops throughout the whole park. My first Disneyland experience was beyond my expectations and it is indeed a land of happiness with no worries.



Dinner was back at our hotel area again because it was so late already to be hunting for food. At Gold Sand Cafe, we ordered almond milk, buoluobao, fishball noodle and wanton mee. The buoluobao is not bad, but really still did not satisfy my craving. The hot dishes were comforting to our hungry stomachs at 10pm. I cannot remember the exact cost, but the two bottles of alcohol is quite cheap as compared to here >.<. And look at my sticker collection! We could have collected more if we knew how it worked earlier. We had some repetitive ones from different staff.





 




"I can show you the world.
Shining, shimmering, splendid."

Yes, I would love to see the world with you.

No comments: