Saturday, May 7, 2016

Experience with Tendon Inflammation

About last year October..

I kept feeling pain in the inner knee area after I used the Ushape. I thought it might be some bone problem, but it may also be muscle inflammation.

First Western Doctor Consultation 
I decided to see the doctor after about two weeks of non recovery. He pressed onto the inner knee area and concluded that it is the tendon that is hurting. I have most likely accidentally pulled a tendon because I did not stretch well before I stepped on the Ushape. :/ I never learned my lesson (pulled the back thigh hemstring the last time I tried fast exercise). He gave me some Arcoxia tablets for pain relieve and anti inflammation. Everything was recovering actually, then suddenly it became the same as before. I suspect it is because I ran for the bus, sudden sprinting aggravated the injury again! T.T

Second Consultation 
My second visit to the doctor concluded that the location of the pain is now slightly lower. It is still the tendon swelling and he gave me the same medicine since it had worked the first time. The only thing to note is to walk slowly and not run. Bf wanted a pinkie promise that I wouldn't run for the bus, sooooo cute. However, despite me slowing down my footsteps to appreciate the world, the pain seemed to have gotten worse. The doctor had given me a potential option of injection to relieve the inflammation so I went for the third visit with the expectation of an injection. 

Third Consultation
During consultation, the doctor however did not manage to find my painful spot at the inner knee area anymore. The pain spot somehow shifted to below the inner knees, at the inner calves. At that spot, it wasn't the tendon anymore, it is the hemstring that is hurting. Maybe it is because my leg was hurting, and my body shifts to walk in a different and wrong way, causing pain in another area. -.-  This time he did not give me any medication already (eaten too much) and he don't recommend injection. He just advise me to use those medical topical creams which can be found outside. Consultation is more expensive this time though, because I think no medicine equals to less earnings also. 

Much money wasted as a result of no proper stretching before exercise. This is a very important lesson- to do adequate and quality stretching before any form of exercise. I waited for another week but my inner knee area was still hurting quite bad when I start walking right after I was awake. Also, it has been so long since I exercised.

Bishan Chinese Doctor
In the end, I went to the Chinese doctor I used to visit last time for my neck and back. He did acupuncture on the knee with 4 needles. As I am probably a little allergic to the needles, my skin started to form red bumps around the needle. One of the spot was bleeding like a cut when the needle was out and the doctor said it was normal. It even became blue black. Medicine is then applied to the area and bandaged up. I think I do feel better although not fully recovered. At least, I don't feel much pain now right after I wake up. I went back a second time, this time he used electrical pulses on the knee area and then bandaged it up again. I don't know why but it got worse. 

Yishun Chinese Doctor
At this time, my mum had another contact for Chinese doctor at Yishun. Hence, she brought me there for the first time. There is one main Chinese doctor and two china aunties (tui na auntie) within the clinic. The massage aunty helped me to tui na first. After which, the doctor did the ending massage which is way more painful. As my injury has been 1 month plus, the doctor suggested to '出血'. He took a needle and poke my knee area several times in fast movements so that the 'bad blood' would come out. He then used the ba guan suction to suck out the blood. O.o. It is really scary and painful to be 'stabbed' like this even if the needle is small.

BACK TO EXERCISING :D
It helps! The tightness slowly subsides. Subsequently, I went back weekly for another 3 times or so. Now I am still going back every fortnightly as recovery will take longer at the end. I have almost recovered, though I still feel the strain when you stretched that inner knee area. I regretted not going to the Chinese doctor from the start because my injury became "old" and it is harder to cure. I am now slowing down my pace and I don't sprint for transport [one reason being the change of job and I don't have to take the bus anymore!]. I went back to jogging too and everything is good. I am so happy I can start exercising again!

I have spent quite an amount of money on an injury I could have prevented. So if you are reading this, please take care of your body & health!

Few months later now, I am actively exercising and stretching well before each workout. I feel stronger! :D

No comments: