Sunday, July 8, 2018

Australia Adventure Day 9 - Queen Victoria Market

4 February 2018 -

Breakfast at Manchester Press -

The morning was so cold and nice!! I love it.

The trip is free if your route in within the free tram zone! You do not need to tap your card. At first, it seems so weird because it is like we are trying not to pay for our ride. We have not even bought the Myki card yet.


Manchester Press is located in this ulu secluded alley. It does not even look like there is a cafe there, but it must be there because of the MP arrow sign. The ambience of the cafe is nice, and it was filled with people. My colleague recommended me this popular cafe known for its bagels. Come to think of it, I never had a bagel before this trip. 




True enough, the menu features bagel in different forms, how interesting. I had Smoked Salmon (A$16) again! And I told myself that was the last haha. It was getting too much. I am assuming the small green things are the baby capers. They taste like little olives and goes quite well with the smoked salmon and bagel. My bf chose the Maple, Bacon & Banana with blueberry bagel (A$16). Bacon seems so out of place but gosh it was so good! I did not know that saltish sweet stuff can be so weirdly delicious. The warm and slightly sweet blueberry bagel is so well complimented with the mascarpone.








The portions do not look that big, but we were sure real full. Our tummies were happy. 


Walking to Queen Victoria Market - 

I do not know how we managed the walking part. I just followed my walking map & guide. It was not very far from Manchester Press and it was a good walk for digestion. 

There's many things to see at QVM! It is like Bugis street? There are clothes, shoes, toys, essential oils, paintings, souvenirs and so many that I cannot remember already. There are also many food choices there, but we only had a pack of fries. I bought 2 bottles of essential oil at a steal of A$18 only. I bought a set of magic markers too, which I came back to give away to my nieces. I figured I won't be using them and it was just the kid in me that love to buy art stuff. 





The other side features all the food stuff. There is the wet market (theirs is not wet) kind with vegetables and fruits displayed. The ones in the interior of the building were fresh meats, cheese, chocolate, honey, dried goodies and other pastries stuff. My bf bought 2 bottles of Manuka Honey at A$180 ++.  It is a good experience to come here for shopping, even though we did not buy that much.













State Library of Victoria -

We followed the directions of the map and came to the state library. We observed the people playing the big set of chess right outside the building. The atmosphere feels very relaxed as people were just sitting around on the grass, like having a picnic under the sun.

The interior design of the library is beautiful. You see many students studying and it feels weird to just walk around the library like we were window shopping. We visited the library but nope, I did not even pick up a single book hahaha.













Melbourne Central Shopping Centre -

The shopping centre is just right opposite. I did not really shop much except for buying clothes at Temt and Cotton On. I was so hyped up about visiting Temt Australia because I love the outlets in SG (But recently their design seemed to be too flowery, so I don't buy so much anymore.). They actually have bigger sizes in Australia from 14 - 20. This is essentially the problem for me, I could not find my size for the clothes I like. Size 10 is hard to come by, especially for the items on sale. The price is about the same as SG too. And so, the only Temt piece I bought is for my mother.


I went around to search for a Vday gift while my bf sat at the cafe bench entertained by his game, and thinking that I have gone to the toilet. I took a bit too long but I got a cute jelly fish thing that lights up. It is supposed to be a jellyfish that can go underwater in the bathtub. But Singapore HDB where got bathtub lol. My gift shall be used for its decorative purpose or maybe as a cute variation of a bedside lamp.


Dinner at the Food Court -

We decided to settle dinner simply. There are a few stores selling different cuisines - Chinese, Japanese, Western, Korean, Indian & fast food. At 6pm, they were already having offers and packing up because they were closing soon. I went with some Indian food, and the butter chicken is tasty. Unfortunately, my bf chose some Chinese fried rice and noodles, which taste so horrible. Remember Golden Boat Chinese Restaurant? Maybe we are too critical about Chinese food precisely because we are Chinese. And what is Singapore noodles? We have many types of noodles, but none is called Singapore noodles. Yet we see noodles like this advertised as Singapore noodles 😅.





We bought our Myki card at the metro station, and then took the free tram back.
On our way back, we finally found the 1 for 1 Maxibons in the chocolate flavour that my bf has been looking for since our time in Cairns.




No comments: