Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Braised Eefu Noodles

Inspired by the eefu noodles we had in Genting, the one which is so gravy-ish and not so much chive, I tried cooking it!

The first attempt:

I took reference from noobcook's recipe for the first time but I didn't follow it exactly. I used 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce and some pepper to make the gravy. I did not add the chicken stock but I added cornflour to make the gravy thicker. The result is okay but my bf said that my noodles is salty enough but not tasty. It is nice, but the content of the gravy is not rich in flavour.

The second attempt:

My second reference is from Pig Pig's Corner. I realized that the mistake was that I added too much dark soy sauce [therefore salty] instead of something more flavourful like oyster sauce. So here's my ingredients, and portion is determined according to my feel.

>> 

Mains
2 servings ee fu noodles
Some garlic
1 large can straw mushroom
300gm enoki mushroom
200gm beansprout

Gravy
1/4 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
Pinch of sugar
Dash of white ground pepper
1.5 bowl hot water
Approx 2.5 tbsp cornflour

>>

1) Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water. Once the noodles has spread out, drain the hot water away and leave it aside. For the straw mushroom, cut them into smaller pieces. For the enoki mushroom, cut the whole bunch into half. Chop the garlic into tiny bits. 


Plucking the roots away is tiring


2) Heat up the oil in a wok. Once hot, add in garlic, followed by the mushrooms and the beansprout. Stir fry for a bit.

3) Add in the sauces and spices for the gravy. For the cornflour, mix some water with the flour before adding into the dish slowly. Add more sauces or cornflour according to your taste. Mix well.

4) Submerge the noodles in the gravy and let it simmer for about 2 minutes. 

5) Taste, edit if required, and serve. 


Noodles:
I guess you can skip the cooking of noodles in water step since the noodles would be simmering anyway. Generally, noodles are spread out first to ensure that it won't get soggy in the next step if cooked too long. It is also easier to submerge the noodles in the gravy because it's no longer two fat blocks. 

Ingredients:
Note that the quantity of my ingredients is actually quite a lot. The amount of mushroom and beansprout exceeded the amount of noodles. I would recommend 150-200gm of enoki instead but if you prefer more noodles than ingredients, you would need to reduce further. 

Gravy:
Initially, I only used 2 tbsp of oyster sauce but given the mountain of ingredients, I had to add more water to cover them adequately. Hence, the gravy turned bland and required more taste. The same goes for the cornflour. The more water you add, the more cornflour you need to attain the thick consistency you want.


Have a fun time trying this!

No comments: