Friday, May 8, 2015

Experience of a Noob Jogger

I have been a regular jogger for quite a while now [few years?]. During my time with the first job, I couldn't find time to jog due to the working hours. Yes, that is definitely an excuse, but I prefer jogging in the evening really. As a result, I realized that I have grown in size! The amount of time sitting in the office might also be part of the reason.

Hence, I dedicated this break to exercise. Okay, it is not as noble as it sounds like but I do jog almost everyday. It can range from a short 10 minutes to 25 minutes [yes still rather short a time]. My stamina is still bad, even after so long. No matter what, I just thought of sharing my jogging experience and how I coped with it.

-To start off-

Convenience
Exercising is tiring. I hated running because it makes me so breathless. But I sill choose it because I can just change to my sports attire and head to the canal nearby for a fast jog. I don't like so much hassle when it comes to exercising. It is always easier to go jogging than to go swimming, badminton [so windy, unless you book a court, which is always booked by others], yoga classes and etc. This is called lazy exercising. You identify what works best for you.

To be alone or not
Linked to above point, jogging alone is definitely more convenient because you don't have to accommodate to anyone's schedule. Anytime you feel the adrenaline rush, you go for it. Jogging alone also enables you to run at your own pace. And have a myself time to think and reflect.

Think of it as a lifestyle
Rather than dreading the day you have to go exercise, think of it as an opportunity to get some fresh air. It is a continuous process of keeping your body fit and healthy. It should not be fulfilling some kind of duty or obligation. Therefore, my goal is no longer to lose weight through jogging because I never seem to lose any. It is to improve my health, my body and my self esteem. People can't see the changes because they are not obvious. But I really feel the improvements. 

Body posture
The body posture is very important during the run. Always keep your body straight from the start as your lungs can receive air better that way. When people get tired, they sometimes drag their feet while pushing themselves forward. I always remind myself to always have full control of my feet so that I won't fall. The path is not always even, and without full control of your feet, you might trip easily.

-In the midst-

Focus on everything other than the actual activity
I guess one of the good things about jogging is that you don't really need concentration [on say catching a ball]. You can admire the scenery, you can listen to music, or you can have a brainstorm session. Whatever it is, just don't keep thinking "oh I am running now, I need to run till that end point..". Forget that you are jogging and feeling tired, distract yourself. For me, I like to observe other runners and look at the environment. With the music playing, I focus on the lyrics to keep me going. Sad songs may make you move further. Titanic related music always helps me.

Find your motivation
When I get really tired,  I find myself some form of motivation to keep me going. Well, if you run with friends, you can get motivation from them. Otherwise, like me, I find random strangers with similar running speed and run behind them! Just keep that person as the focus point. Or sometimes, I pretend that people are looking at me and so I have to perform well haha. After jogging for the past few years, I can already recognize many familiar faces and I feel they might recognize me too. 

Short term goals are more effective
I find myself being able to fulfill short term goals better than long term ones. Hence, instead of telling myself to run from this end to that end, I look at the points on the ground. Let that leaf be my target, and once I reached the leaf, I change my target to the next stone. This method works until I eventually reach my end point. A person is more likely to fulfill goals which seem more attainable.

-The after-

Rest is important
I realized I might be jogging too much. Even though the distance I cover is considered short, it is still bad to not let the body rest. 3 times a week should be the optimum. 

Always remember that your health is your responsibility. So, let's all be disciplined and motivated!

No comments: