Sunday, July 5, 2015

Spicy Basil Minced Chicken

I saw a video demonstration of this delicious Thai dish and I wanted to give it a try as it looks simple enough. My first try kind of failed as I have used too little seasoning. It wasn't wet enough, probably because I didn't add shallots which would produce some water. Also, my minced meat ended up in chunks! It was still okay and edible though.






I showed my mum the video and she demonstrated how to cook this dish hahaha. The below ingredients and seasoning amount is only my estimate. She goes by her feel in terms of how much sauce should be added, which is also what I usually do.

Ingredients:
About 300gm minced chicken
Some shallots
Some garlic
4 chilli padi
About 10 basil leaves

Seasoning:
Dash of pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce

1. Cut the shallots and garlic into small pieces. Remove the seeds of the chilli and cut them into small pieces. [if you want it less spicy, without the seeds is already quite spicy. Eating the seeds is going to be spicy like mad]. Chop basil leaves into smaller pieces. 

2. In a wok, heat the oil and swirl it in a circular motion to cover the sides. Oil should be sufficient as minced meat tend to stick to the surface. Add in shallots and then garlic. 

3. Put in the minced chicken and stir fry it continuously, breaking it into small pieces at the same time. The trick to the small pieces of minced chicken is really to keep moving the spatula to cut the thick chunks into smaller ones. Add in the seasoning above. Taste to see if more seasoning is required. 

4. Stir in the chilli padi and lastly, the basil leaves.

This is really a nice and simple dish to go with rice. As my basil minced chicken doesn't have a lot of basil taste, it taste more like chinese food haha!

>.<

No comments: