Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Transition, Graduate to Working Adult

"To be somebody, not just anybody."

I officially started working on 20th October 2014. My first job is actually by chance, through a recruitment agency. I got to know the agent through my good friend Hong Wei, as she is his neighbour. He introduced me to her at first because there was a good merchandiser job at $9.50/hr. I took it up and then she found me suitable for this current job, so I just gave it a try. Although there's some unhappiness and changes in between, I am quite content now. I think my job is a challenge and I hope I continue to enjoy the process. Thank you Hong Wei!

As a working adult, there's so many differences as compared to being a student. Actually, I still cannot really believe I am working full time now. I feel really happy at times because I have some earning power now :). At the same time, I don't need to bring back assignments and readings from school. Maybe I would need to bring back work next time but currently everything is still manageable. I can just laze around and watch tv when I reach home, and that's great!

So here are some things that have changed ever since I started working>>

Sleeping early waking early
My job is actually almost retail hours style; 11am to 7pm, so it is not considered early. However, this is still a big change from my sleeping-at-4am and waking-up-at-12pm style. After commencement of work, my body gradually goes back to a more normal cycle. Because I wake up at a consistent time everyday, I find it hard to sleep more nowadays. 9 hours on the weekend would make my back ache :/.

Weekends become more precious 
Supposedly, I need to work on one weekend every week. It hasn't started and the real arrangement of roster is not confirmed yet. But I already feel the preciousness of my weekends. 6 days work week is just sad because there is only one rest day, although I work the same number of hours. It's a long story about this 6 work days issue. In the past, when I feel very tired of going out, I would stay at home even if my family goes out. Now I feel like I am obligated to spend the weekend time with them, and not waste the time at home. In the future when my one weekend is gone, need to alternatingly spend time with bf and family already :(. People feel the elation for TGIF,but I won't be able to.

Dressing
Shorts, tee shirt and slippers used to be the standard for school. No more of that. I need to dress up office appropriate now and I kind of enjoy it. I feel more diligent to put on my mascara or eyeliner frequently now too. Last time, they always dry up only after a few application because I seldom use them. The need to dress up also gives me a reason to get more clothes hehehe.

Hungry easily
I get hungry so easily now la! I think it might be because I am awake for longer hours and I walk here walk there. Last week, I carried the office laptop every day to the headquarters and that used up so much of my energy. At the end of the day, I felt so drained and hungry. I usually split my breakfast into half and eat the rest at about 4/5pm because I am sure to be hungry. Gastric seems to come more often now too. If I don't leave work on time, by the time I reach home for dinner is already 8pm T.T.

Increased responsibility
With earning power, there comes financial responsibility. My parents just told me that I said to give them $200 each per month for allowance when I start working. Ohh my big mouth, I don't even remember I said that amount. I still wanted to slowly increase Lol. Parents allowance, insurance premiums, phone bills, transport fees, daily spendings will soon to be paid by me. I also need to be responsible for my work, it is the real working environment now, with real clients and customers. I cannot be like a student and go, no can I not go to school today.The amount of learning I have to do and the potential future workload is starting to scare me.

Better appreciation
I appreciate homecook dinner much much more now. I find it hard to eat a balanced meal outside and food around my area is so expensive. Plus, I am now hungry more often and mummy's cooking taste so good to me haha. I also need to thank my mother for helping me to hang my clothes dry in the sun. I really wonder how do working women get the time to hang their clothes. Maybe they have a dryer or they use indoor dry detergent. Life would be so different if my mother is also a full time working woman.

Got nothing to do??
As a student, my everyday goal was to finish up my assignments and readings. I felt productive when I finish all those. Now I don't really have anything specific to fulfil at home, and it doesn't feel productive. I know, this sort of contradicts to the fact that I enjoy watching tv all I want when I am home haha. Watching tv isn't productive right?

That's about all the changes I can think of now. Cheers to the bright future!

No comments: