Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Virgin Kite Flying

02102014-

Today, we decided to go fly kite at Marina Barrage since it is a weekday. We don't know whether we have time in the near future for such carefree activity, so we shall do it now!

Arriving at the barrage at about 4pm, it was still very empty with very few people around. We went searching for the gift shop first because we didn't purchase a kite beforehand. Well, actually we saw some kites at Bishan SKP, but there were only a few designs. They were smaller and doesn't seem to be of good quality. So glad to have bought our kite at the barrage despite it being more expensive!

The sales uncle recommended us some kites. The smaller ones he said, are not much of a kick. He told us that anyone can be an expert after 15 minutes, and then regret not buying a bigger kite. Initially, I was aiming for a smaller $26 smiley face kite. But since he said the blue bigger kite is more challenging, we decided to get that since it is only a difference of $6 ($32).

Now we have to decide what kite string length to get;100m, 200m or 500m. 500m is like $48 but if you count by length, it is more worth it than the shorter ones. We got the 200m one at a price of $28. Good kites are so expensive T.T (not saying our kite is best or what, sure got more expensive kites). But you would regret getting cheapskate kites when they cannot fly well, and spoil the whole experience. Besides, good quality strings and the reel are more durable. It also reduces the chance of getting tangled strings. [ours, the string keeps moving out of the device when everything goes too fast]


We didn't do any research before flying -.-, so we just anyhow last minute google. At first, we unwind some strings on the ground, with one person holding the reel and one person holding the kite. I run with the kite and try to throw it up. That didn't work. The kite is too heavy and there was no wind. After while, baby holds on to the reel and kite together. He runs and lets go of the kite while loosening the string slowly. The kite did float in the air, but it dropped down to the ground before long. After several rounds of trials, I was very tired from the running. Luckily it rained on my birthday and kite flying was cancelled that day. If not, I would be >:(.






Then, we saw the shop uncle walking towards us. He didn't see our blue kite flying and was worried HAHA. I can't remember what he said already but he say until like kite flying very easy. He told us the other side may have more wind, and our side may be blocked or something. See the uncle in red shirt, together with the tails of our kite.


Taking his advice, baby brought the kite together with him to the other side of the barrage. From afar, I could see the uncle pulling at the strings of the kite and the kite slowly rises up. Our kite was finally flying! But I waited for very long before my bf returned to my side. -.-" I just sat on my mat and waited patiently.







He walked back to me slowly, pulling the kite along hahaha. He then gave me the reel for me to control the kite. Soon, the kite started to fall lower.. and lower lol. That was when baby said "my friend coming over to help me". I was wondering like huhhhh, who is his friend. Turns out, this guy is a kite enthusiast who has helped him fly the kite moments ago. He was already there with his yellow kite when we just arrived.


The guy was holding onto the reel for quite a long time. Again, I waited patiently for my bf to return. However, somehow another uncle who was working there came to talk to him. I waited again.


When he was back, he taught me what he has learned from the experts! It was evening already and it became much more windy. Taking off was so much easier.

Method 1

1) Unwind the kite strings to a considerable length on the ground. 
E.g, Bf holds the kite, I hold the reel. Bf walks towards the other end while I stay put, letting the string free itself as he pulls.

2) The person holding the kite should face the pointy part of the kite against the wind direction. 

~~|>Pointy kite this direction~~|>            <<----- Wind this direction<<-----

3) The person holding the kite, lift the kite above your head and throw it against the wind direction. You can run against the wind too.

4) The kite should lift in the air for awhile (wind is important here). At this point, the person with the reel should wind the string back to the reel as fast as possible. The kite would fly up with the pulling effect created.

5) When there is tension in the string, slowly release and unwind the string bit by bit so the kite can fly further up. 

6) When you feel the kite falling, gentle tug at the string to let it fly again. If the wind is very strong, you don't even need to do this because it will just keep flying and tightening the string. 

Eventually, my 200m string was used up!! [For big kites, consider 500m!] The wind was so strong that evening, at about maybe 7pm. We got the kite down slowly by pulling the string. It was so hard to get it down. After that, we lift it off and pull it down, lift off and pull down again... hehe so fun. 





Baby also tried another method. Which he succeeded at first try and I was dying to succeed at it too.

Method 2

1) Unwind the kite strings to a considerable length on the ground. 
Same as the above.

2) Face the pointy part of the kite against the wind direction, on the ground.

~~|>Pointy kite this direction~~|>            <<----- Wind this direction<<-----

3) The person holding the reel should wind the string back into the reel as fast as possible. The kite will lift up with the pulling effect.

Both method 1 and 2 are similar, just that one is having a person to help with the lift off, one is laying the kite on the ground. Method 2 is more difficult because there is less self-made wind when it is laid on the ground. I have failed the first few times, as the kite just dragged itself on the ground when I wind back my string. On the final trial, when I thought I had failed again, a gust of wind blew and lifted the kite slightly up from the ground. Catching the opportunity, I winded the string back as fast as possible and the kite managed to get up in the sky! Hence, some luck and aiming is required for this method really.

The 3rd method is running with the kite and reel together, pulling at the kite while running and letting go the string as you move. I tried this method a few times in the evening when there was more wind. But no success for this one! I guess my kite is really too heavy. 

While our kite was taking off and coming down numerous times, there was this couple nearby us who were having problems lifting theirs off. 

"Why they don't copy our way?" I asked bf. HAHA. We were actually there "demonstrating" a few times already. The noobs have become "experts" LOL. Eventually, bf walked to the guy while I walked to the girl to help them. They had two kites. At first, their kite didn't fly up still, the kite didn't seem to balance very well. After that, they managed to do it by themselves!

Achievement achievement. Our kite session ended near 8.30pm. :D


No comments: