Friday, July 11, 2014

NUS Commencement 2014

I'm listening to Jason Mraz's "I won't give up" while arranging my graduation photos when suddenly, tears just fill my eyes [Although it's a different context]. Looking back to semester one, I had wanted to give up. Although it was never a serious thought, giving up was on my mind. It was too much to cope. Three years have passed and here I am, I have gotten the hard earned paper.

8 July 2014 was my commencement day. It was a 3pm slot. We had a simple lunch at the 24 hours coffee shop near my house before taking the MRT down to school. I wanted to bring my parents to the deck to try their cheap kopi but better not risk it, later store not open. I was wearing the same heels I wore during my NYP graduation, in fact, the same skirt, and I could have worn the same top too. The heels had been glued and repaired before and here's what happened to it that day. 





I predicted this would happen, but I did'nt want to buy another heels for now since I haven't started working. And I won't know what shoes I will need for the future so why waste money on another heels that I won't wear often. I brought another pair of black flats with me so I wore that instead, not cool. 

Took bus D2 to the museum bus stop and followed the crowd towards University Cultural Centre. Met bestfriend there and took some photos first. That's her Nus lion haha.The colour of the band [Bachelor of Arts] on the gown suits me!








Our parents proceeded in from hall 4 while we went in through hall 3. Invitation cards and attendance cards needed. Ceremony started with the national anthem and a speech.








Those receiving more prestigious certs were in front, followed by honours students, then us. As my mortarboard was loose, I had to pin it up with bobby pins, securing it with my hair. [I tried the mortarboard at the forum bookstore, M was my size, but somehow M decided to have a few sizes by number and the one I received was too loose. I changed it to a smaller number, still loose but the next number was too small.-.- Problem with renting the gown instead of purchasing it] After so many students went up the stage, I was feeling quite dizzy from looking up constantly with my eyes instead of tilting my head back more in case the mb droops down again. When it was finally my turn [I'm at the back due to my name], we walked to the side, helpers helped us with our attires and someone helped me to trim off the uneven strings on the mortarboard [ugly mortarboard strings because I rented it]. 


B4 going up
Thanks Mag & Ros for taking my pics onstage

Many graduates took selfies with the prof on the stage. Speeches from two valedictorians to close the ceremony. Balloons came down from the ceiling. Lol. Would have been fun if I had a friend with me then. 














Denny reached first. He gave me a card as per requested haha. And displayed his most awesome drawing of a penguin, with a flower and scroll, wearing a mortarboard. Terrence came later. He too, gave me a large A4 card. To my surprise, he drew me (should be me la) in the gown and mortarboard on the cover. Opening the card, he wrote me an "essay" haha. Very thoughtful message inside :). Thank you Denny for coming down, alone somemore! I really appreciate it. Thank you Terrence for coming down too. I really appreciate all the times you have helped me through this course of studies. I don't have many friends made in Uni, so they made a difference to my day.

Of course, my dearest parents and family were there with me. So I don't feel lonely at all. I'm blessed. And my wonderful bf. Thanks for being there with me. For helping me 招待my friends when I went to look for Rosazlin. 


Secondary sch friends unite


Some photos at the outdoor area. So many people everywhere. Hard to take photos! And the 8pm ceremony one quite sian, I think every picture must use flash. 










I threw my mortarboard alone. Looks quite pathetic hahaha. 
Went to Vivocity after that for a celebratory dinner at Kim Gary. I was feeling too full to enjoy the meal though haha. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you mummy and daddy for putting me through my education. For telling me it's okay once I have tried my best. For making sure I have enough rest and food. For providing me with the best environment you all could give.
My siblings, I know you both are proud of me.
Thank you to my second family for your support in whatever I do. You all always thought of me as the perfect girl and loved me like a real family member. I am very thankful. 
My boyfriend, who have been with me through my uni life, thank you for your support and love.
To Terrence, the friend I see the most in my entire uni life, thank you for all the unconditional help you have given me. 
And to all my close friends, thank you for being there for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: