Friday, July 4, 2014

My Dear turns 25

My bf turned 25 yesterday.
Since I'm quite free this time, I made sushi!
Wahaha, those ugly sushi. This is the first batch. The seaweed is too moist to be cut. The maki roll is still manageable, the one with crab meat on top is really difficult to make.




Second-time sushi looked much better. Tasted better too. But seaweed still too moist to cut.






The final one. Seaweed still moist. They tasted harder because I left it overnight in the fridge. Bf said it's still nice but I know it's because of the love, and not the taste. heee.






For the kani maki recipe, I took it from Noobcook [Although I also made reference here and there, researching on advices for sushi]. The way to cook the vinegar rice is also linked in this recipe. Japanese rice to water ratio is quite optimal at 1:1.15. Soaking the rice grains for 30 minutes before steaming is quite an important step as the grains will turn white and round. For the vinegar mixture, I modified the amount of caster sugar to 1 tablespoon and the amount of salt to half a teaspoon for 1 cup of rice. The rice tasted pretty good with this amount of seasoning, although it tasted more bland after it was left in the fridge. Seaweed wise, I bought mine from Diaso. It's roasted and the packaging stated it's suitability for sushi-making. But I cannot figure out the art of maintaining the crisp of the seaweed. Maybe the seaweed is not of a very good quality. Nevertheless, it tasted okay after being left in the fridge for a little while [if you prefer to eat chilled sushi, and because the fridge effect helps to firm the sushi and retain the shape].




So here's my dearest opening his present. Other than sushi, I gave him the shirt he's wearing [forced to wear on the spot] and a Hugo Boss cologne. Him being a practical man, I don't know what I should buy as a present already. Clothes aren't so practical anymore since he has enough of them.

We had our dinner at FeedLot Steakhouse Bar and Grill. They serve really expensive beef there. So it should be good. The ambience of the place was quiet and romantic, since there were only a few people in the restaurant. He ordered a striploin steak ($45) with truffle fries (as a side, +$10) while I went for a simple sausage spaghetti ($18). And not forgetting the coke ($5).




The steak was awesome, even to me, a person who doesn't like beef. Truffle fries was just meh. I don't know what's truffle fries supposed to taste like but I won't spend $10 on that fries again. My spaghetti was nice but not fantastic. I will probably not eat there again, unless I'm a steak or beef lover.

We walked around at Tanglin mall before heading for some desserts. At Upper Thomson, we settled on Little Pancakes.








The mini pancakes were warm and yummy! Worth a try. Although I still prefer pancakes for breakfast or brunch instead. I will try their all day brunch some day- Eggs, pancakes, potato salad, veg, sausages, vege... Drools. I love American breakfast style.

Happy Birthday Dear.

No comments: