Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My White Honeycomb Cake Process

White honeycomb cake, also known as 白糖糕 or bak tong gou, is a traditional Chinese kuey. It should be a Cantonese cuisine since it has a Cantonese name. Personally, I like to eat this, although I don't often do. Recently, I realized that someone dear to me also likes this, so I thought why not try to make it myself. I googled and found Sweet Day's blog with the recipe of this dish. In total, I have experimented 5 times so far in about two weeks.

First time: I followed the recipe almost entirely, except that, I did'nt manage to make it fully into a dough before adding water. Hence, it's adding water into the solution rather than adding water to the dough. But I added less water in this case. Turned out fine after steaming, though I remembered it to be slightly too moist. 




Second time: I wanted to have it fresh in the morning, so I mixed the solution at about 11pm and left it overnight. The recipe stated to let the mixture rest for 6 hours. However, due to my lazy bones, I left it for 8 hours haha. The cake did not rise up after steaming. It probably failed because it over fermented and the carbon dioxide escaped? Hence, never leave the mixture longer than the 6 hours stated [+/- few minutes should be okay].

Third time: Everything was done accordingly. I noticed a layer of water above the white solution right before steaming. After steaming, the top part was watery and did'nt rise again. Why, I thought to myself. Then, looking at the measuring flask I use usually, I realized I must have read off the wrong scale. I read 125ml from the flour measurement lines O.O *FAINTS*. And that amount of water added was too much. Hence, always open your eyes big big when attempting to make the mixture.

Forth time: Did everything the same way. The rested solution looked exactly like the picture in Sweet Day's blog. Turned out well. Got back some positive reviews. Daddy said it was nice. [My daddy is quite picky, so he says nice means nice] But I felt that it did'nt rise enough.

Fifth time: So I was thinking to add more yeast, given that more carbon dioxide produced=more air in between=rise more right? I added 1 teaspoon of yeast this time, instead of just half. After the 6 hours rest period, the solution looked frothy on top, like some soap bubbles in those bubbly baths. Oh nooo. But the cake still turned out the same as the forth time! So don't have to waste so much yeast anymore. 




Although when sugar and yeast reacts together, sugar is broken down into alcohol and carbon dioxide, I believe the sugar content in the cake is still quite high (although it does'nt taste so). Half a cup of sugar into such a small sized cake. I tried to reduce the sugar level in the second and third try, but it turned out as a failure due to the above reasons. Hence, I am not too sure if reducing the sugar will affect the outcome (since yeast needs sugar). But I certainly think that the cake will taste more bland because with the current amount of sugar, it taste just nice.

Also, I consulted Sweet Day on the number of days to keep the cake. She said that she usually finish the cake within a day and if you really want to store the cake, you can put it in the fridge for up to three days. I tried to store it for the next two days. The cake tasted slightly harder after a day in the fridge. After two days, it tasted even harder and I don't know, flaky [not nice]? So, it's better to steam it hot again before consuming. It gets softer. But even this does not make the cake taste as good as eating it fresh.

P.s. Jie, if you are reading this and wondering why I haven't made for you all, I will be doing that soon. Trial and error takes time.
I'm going to make one last time and stop.

2 comments:

Sweetday said...

Hi Vanessa,
Thanks for mentioning me in your blog! I am very encouraged by your determination and willingness to experiment. Yes, you are right about the cake staying hard after putting in fridge. Fridge tends to absorb moisture. So that is the reason. Glad you figure out to steam. :)
You are right about food does not taste the same after putting in the fridge. That is why I always consume my food fresh... unless I really can't finish it.

Vanessa Chia said...

Hi Sweetday!

Thanks for visiting. Really appreciate the recipe you posted. And for answering to my questions. And now providing even more information for me in your comment. :)