Monday, June 30, 2014

This is Life

Recently, I met up with my two bestest girlfriends. We intended to go ice-skating but oh my, there were too many people on the skating rink. Our guess is because it was still the June holiday for the students. We decided to see if we could catch a movie, preferably "The Fault in our Stars". We have been hearing many comments and seeing the posts on facebook and it's time to check it out. It was a bad timing at Jcube, so we watched at Jem instead. However, it was a bad seating, front row, too close for comfort. The movie is that popular. 
 





The story depicts how two lovers knew each other from a cancer support group program. Gus and Hazel fell in love after some time. Both of them should be cancer survivors, Gus lost one of his legs while Hazel continued to have lung problems. They visited Hazel's favorite author in Amsterdam and had a happy trip.  However, cancer was found in Gus again and it was spreading like wild fire. He died very soon. She was devastated. 

That's a very short summary of the plot. I think the storyline is good but the whole movie just did'nt touch me as much. It was quite boring at first and there is'nt a very good climax. I know the movie is adapted from the novel, and maybe the book would be better at conveying the touching story. I thought I would cry [I was prepared to cry after seeing the sad fb posts and hear stories from my sister], but I did'nt. 

The only time I teared was when I imagined myself as her. Or him. What would happen if one day this happens to me? If I found out that I had some illness that would take me away soon. Or if I know someone is going to leave me because of some illness. My bf and I have discussed about this topic before. We don't want lies or hiding of the truth. No matter what happens, we want to spend the rest of the time left happily with each other. It would hurt, whether is it now or later, so why not treasure the time together.

Of course, I certainly hope this day would'nt come, at least not so soon, not until we are 70 or 80 years old. Then, I will most probably leave with no regrets. But now, the thought of leaving chills me. I can't bear to leave my love ones. And I don't want them to live with grief. That's why, I always cherish my health. It is the one thing that is irreplaceable once damaged (apart from relationships). You need your health, even to enjoy the times with your family and friends. Although many times, it is not up to us to determine our health conditions, but the least we can do is to take care of ourselves the best that we can.

This reminds me of the recent youtube video of a wedding in a hospital. The groom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and his only wish was to marry his true love. He did in the end, but he died soon after, leaving his wife and child behind. It was supposed to be a happy wedding video, but I bet it brought tears to many viewers. It's heart wrenching to know how some couples who are truly in love cannot be together because of such unexpected circumstances in life. 

We must always, always remind ourselves to cherish what we have. This brings back to what Mr Won have told us "The best happiness is to be with each other". You will never know when things would be taken away from you. This is life. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting conclusion! Hehe thanks my friend! :D

Vanessa Chia said...

Haha! Thanks for your first comment :)